Getting started at Genshin Impact may seem daunting as the RPG is so packed with content. Launched in September 2020, the game regularly receives new updates. But you may be wondering where to start? How do you optimise your resources? And above all, how do you get powerful characters? To make your first steps into the world of Teyvat easier, we have put together this beginner's guide at Genshin Impact. This will give you all the information you need to get your adventure off to a good start. We also list the mistakes you should not make, tips on how to get Primogems and the strategy you should follow to become strong quickly!
Your level of adventure in Genshin Impact
Genshin Impact is a huge open world. This is just the beginning: for the moment only three regions are available: Mondstadt, Liyue and Inazuma. Four more should be added in the next few years. But in the meantime, there's already a lot of space to explore. Especially since MiHoYo offers a generous amount of content: each area has numerous chests to open, challenges to face and resources to collect. It is therefore very easy to get lost. This is why our first and foremost advice when you start at Genshin Impact is to focus on story andarchon quests to quickly increase your adventure level.
But if you have completed your quests, you can continue to progress in several ways:
1) Explore the world of Teyvat. You can gain a lot of experience by exploring the game. Remember to activate all the teleporters you see on the map as soon as possible. In addition to facilitating your exploration, they will give you XP points and Primogems.
2) Complete daily quests to gain XP, resources and 60 Primogems (from level 12).
3) Complete the challenges in the Adventurer's Log. This is an element often overlooked by beginner players. However, they are simple and generous challenges at rewards.
4) Carry out resin activities. You can accumulate up to 160 resins. These allow you to fight bosses, make Ley Line Outcrop (from level 12) to earn Moras (Blossom of Wealth) or XP scrolls (Blüte der Reichtums), talent dungeons to improve your characters' attack (level 27) or artifact dungeons (level 22). But for the artefacts, we advise you to reach level 45 in order to target the 5 star artefacts.
5) Complete the Battle Pass: This quest system, available from LVL 20 onwards, is renewed every month. Each time you do this you have the opportunity to win resources, Moras, scrolls, etc.
6) Complete the Spiral Abyss challenge. This challenge can be completed from level 20. It is divided into 8 levels. On each of them, you will face powerful enemies. rewards awaits you if you win. And once you have successfully completed all 8 floors, you will reach the Abyss. This is an infinite floor, which is renewed every month. This is a great way to test the strength of your team and earn Primogems.
7) Do the character escapades and story quests (from level 26). You can unlock them in the quest menu. To do this you will need the legend keys, which can be obtained by completing the daily quests.
Whenever you take a level, remember to go and see Catherine, you can find her in Mondstadt, Liyue and Inazuma. She will give you some rewards. And if your progress bar is stuck, don't worry: at certain levels, you'll have to complete an upgrade quest to increase the level of your world.
Playing the characters well in Genshin Impact
Our guide to Genshin Impact for beginners would not be complete without a section on characters. To play Genshin Impact, you need to put together a team of 4 heroes. You can choose from more than 30 characters. As a result of the Gacha, new characters are regularly added. They each have their own element: Anemo, Hydro, Pyro, Cryo, Geo, Electro and Dendro (the latter is not yet available). Characters also have their own weapon type: two-handed sword, one-handed sword, catalyst, bow or hast weapon.
Unlock characters for free
Obtaining new characters is undoubtedly one of the most important objectives in your quest. But rest assured, you can unlock a good number of them by playing free-to-play. And as a little bonus in this guide on Genshin Impact, we have gathered in an article the list of the game codes.
To loot characters, you must make wishes in one of the events offered. There are 3 types:
Beginner's banner: you multi-summon 10 wishes in exchange for 8 destiny stones (rather than 10) for the first use. You then definitely get Noelle, a Geo character.
The permanent banner: "Wanderlust" requires Destiny Stones. You can potentially get all 4-star characters in the game and many weapons. Five 5-star characters are also available: Diluc, Keqing, Qiqi, Mona and Jean.
The event banner : this changes every 20 days and highlights a particular 5-star character. We advise you to save up for this one. It offers a unique chance to get rare characters. Moreover, by betting on one banner, you can take advantage of the Pity system more easily. If you have made 89 wishes without any 5-star characters, you are sure to get one on the 90th wish.
Putting together a team
At the beginning of the game, you will basically play with the traveller and the 3 characters that Genshin Impact offers for free: Amber (Pyro), Lisa (Electro) and Kaeya (Cryo).
But as your adventure progresses, you will quickly pick up other heroes. To make a good team, choose characters whose gameplay you enjoy. The goal is to have fun. Any hero in Genshin Impact can become strong if they are well optimised. However, you will not be able to mount and equip all of them, it costs a lot of resources. In the first instance, concentrate on a maximum of 8 characters.
The right strategy to form a successful team is to select one or two main DPS, i.e. characters who will have the role of attacker, one or two supports, who will boost the skills of your characters and potentially a healer.
In addition to that, you should also consider elemental resonance: you get an interesting bonus if two characters have the same type. And, by combining different types, you trigger powerful elemental reactions. For example, the interaction of Electro and Pyro elementals causes an overload.
Enhance your characters in Genshin Impact
In order to progress in your adventure, you will have to increase the level of your characters. To do this, you will need to collect a number of resources, Moras and XP scrolls. You can look up what you need directly in the Genshin Center. Then you just need to optimize your character with a good build. Weapons and artefacts each have specific effects. It is important to choose them well. We have written detailed guides to help you equip your heroes properly.
Which stats to favour depends on the character, but most of the time you will have to opt for sets with ATK%, critical rate, DGT Crit and energy recharge.
Also consider upgrading your characters' talents. You can increase normal attacks, elemental attacks and elemental rampages up to level 10 with specific items, which can be obtained in dungeons. Please note that they are only available on certain days.
Tips for getting started in Genshin Impact
To conclude this guide on Genshin Impact, we have listed several tips to get you started and mistakes to avoid:
- Keep an eye on your resin: avoid wasting any when the counter reaches 160. And, if you don't have time to use it, you can make up to 5 condensed resins with the alchemy table.
- Defeat world bosses in the Dungeons of Conquest. Defeating Stormterror, Tartaglia, Azhdaha and Signora gives you access to multiple rewards, including equipment for talent improvement. You can only get these lootonce a week.
- Pick up everything you see, it's bound to be useful at some point.
- Cooking: you can make recipes that increase your attack or defence, etc.
- Keep an eye on your stamina bar to avoid unfortunate accidents. You can improve it by raising the level of the statues of the seven.
- Consult the interactive map of Genshin Impact to locate flowers, minerals, Anemoculus, etc.
- Complete the daily quests each day to collect Primogems easily.
- Participate in events offered by MiHoYo. It's a great way to earn resources and sometimes even weapons, artifacts and 4-star characters.
- Try out the characters from Genshin Impact where possible in the event section. You can find out if you like their gameplay and if you want to try to summon them.
- Complete reputation quests. This earns you recipes, items and wings. By completing bounties and quests, you can get 150,000 Moras every week.
- Create your own Serenitea Pot. You can access your own world from level 28. With it you can collect ephemeral resin, Moras, hero lessons, grow plants and unlock fishing.
We hope you find this tutorial useful. We've gone through many aspects of the game to give you the most comprehensive guide to Genshin Impact to help you get started. But the game still has many surprises in store for you! All you have to do is go on an adventure in Teyvat!
Please, tell us how we can improve this article.
Or if you have other suggestions about JeuMobi. :)
Let us make it better! (for help or questions, go below in the comment section)